I went to the Rubber Stamp Events Convention yesterday with my mom. We now go every year together since she moved back to AZ. It was a nice time and I finally bought some things I was eyeballing last year. I did find a couple items on clearance, but of course, the main items I wanted were full price. Being that I still wanted them after all this time, I let myself purchase them.
Stampscapes are these awesome silhouette style stamps that are used to form landscape scenes. They are unique in the way they are designed because you don’t end up with harsh edges and it is easy to put together a truly organic scene. A major bonus is there are over 100 informational videos from Stampscapes on You Tube. I’ve been binge watching them since last night!
Here’s what you need to get started:
Dye based inks, glossy cardstock, Stampscapes stamps, sponge daubers (or some type of blending tool), white gel pen (for highlighting), protective work surface, inka gold is optional for rubbing around the edge of the finished piece.
Close up on stamps I bought:
As you can see, one of those stamps is not by Stampscapes, but I figured it would work pretty well. I also found a life-like Victorian House stamp when I was digging around in my craft room that I figured should work.
My first try at stamping the scene, I put the mountains in the completely wrong spot. You can see that on the left sheet.
The second time I stamped, I got it right. You will need to do some simple masking along the way. I used just a paper towel. Which I then also accidentally smudged ink with that same paper towel in the sky and proceeded to try to make that accident look like it was on purpose. Not too happy that happened!
My coloring and blending skills could definitely use some work. I used the gel pen to add highlights, waves, and tried to make a foggy light coming from the light source in the background. I might continue to blend this, but it was almost midnight and I had already been working on it for a while. You MUST have patience when blending or you will end up with ruined foam pieces or harsh lines. Light pressure and continued strokes is key.
Here’s my end product. If I do this same scene again, I will make the Victorian a light grey and probably do the same for the mountains. I was playing downstairs and only brought a few inks down. My laziness of not wanting to go up to the craft room resulted in less than desired results. However, it was still a TON OF FUN and I will definitely be making more of these and turning them into Christmas cards :-)!!